You know what it is, it’s Swap It Out Sunday which means today I will be encouraging everyone to take a closer look at their beauty routine, hopefully eliminating at least one bad guy from the bunch! Because this can be an overwhelming task, I find it works best to eliminate things one by one, once a week. Today’s topic? Chapstick!
Because the seasons are changing and our lips are becoming dryer than ever, it’s easy to want to reach out for your favorite chapstick and slather your lips in some moisturizing ingredients. However, did you know that most conventional chapsticks found in drug stores or from promotional freebies are full of toxic ingredients with links to cancer, hormone disruptions, brain development, allergic reactions and more? Check out what is in this Blistex Complete Moisture chapstick!
- Octinoxate– This is a known and studied endocrine disruptor, shown to disrupt the endocrine, hormone, and thyroid with links to breast cancer.
- Oxybenzone– Known as Benzophenone-3, this helps other ingredients deeply penetrate into the skin with links to cancer.
- Butylparaben– A preservative toxic to reproduction with links to hormone disruptions and cancer.
- Ethylparaben– Another preservative with links to endocrine disruption and allergic reactions.
- Methylparaben– Another preservative that has been found in breast tumors.
- Propylparaben– Another preservative that shows up in breast tumors with links to possible endocrine disruption and allergic reactions.
- Petrolatum– This is mineral oil which can cause itchiness, irritations, and allergic reactions, possibly contaminated with carcinogens depending on the source.
- Sodium Borate– This has links to respiratory and skin irritations with possible fertility-damaging risks.
As you can see, all of the above is anything but clean or healthy for our lips. Why use a product full of so many synthetics, artificial flavors, carcinogens, and irritants when there are endless safer swaps to try instead!?
Safer Chapsticks To Try Instead-
- Osmia Organics Honey Myrrh Lip Repair– $22
- Osmia Organics Lip Doctor– $12
- Henne Organics Luxury Lip Balm– $22
- Kiss Me Honey Lip Balm Trio– $15
- Malaya Organics Lavender Lip Savior– $12
- Pogo Lip Balms– $4
- Laguna Herbals Lip Balm w/ SPF– $3.75
- 100% Pure Lip Balms– $6
- 100% Pure Lip Butters– $12
All of the above chapsticks, lip balms + butters are the very best I’ve found. All of them apply smoothly, last forever and are entirely free of all possible bad guys! I love that you can still get amazing products without the crazy chemicals many sneak in and sell to us, and this list is proof some good guys do still exist!
Coupon Code- Code organicbunny should work on all of the above! Some of the links here are affiliate links, however, not all are as I truly only share the ones I use and love.
All facts are from the Think Dirty app, give it a download to find studies and more info!