Because Summer is rapidly approaching, I felt compelled to share this Sunscreen Hall of Shame list created by the Environmental Working Group as it exposes the worst, most unsafe sunscreens you may be using on yourself and families. Every single time I see someone getting sprayed down with a bottle of Banana Boat or Coppertone, I die a little inside because I know that most people simply aren’t aware of the toxins that really exist in these products. We use sunscreen because we are told it’s safe and what we should do, but, do you really know what you are applying to your skin in the hot sun? Here is what the EWG has found.
There are a lot of sunscreens on the market: some good, some bad and then the shameful. Those in the last category are not only a waste of money and time, but also potentially harmful. Here are our picks for products to banish from your beach bag forever.
- Spray sunscreens can be inhaled, and they don’t cover your skin completely.
- SPF’s above 50+ trick you into thinking they prevent sun damage, they don’t.
- SPF protection tops out at 30 to 50.
- Oxybenzone can disrupt the hormone system.
- Retinyl Palmitate may trigger damage, possibly cancer.