Before I got into Gua Sha, I was super intimidated by the concept of it so I figured why not do a blog post to help you guys learn more about why it’s so effective and how easy it actually is to add to your daily routine! I don’t know about you but right now, my stress is at an all-time high which means having a calming yet results-oriented routine is more important than ever for me. It may sound silly but when I do my face routine, it really does calm me down and allow me to focus on something other than my stress. I sure hope these Gua Sha tips might help you to do the same all while leaving you with a more healthy and plump complexion!
So, what is Gua Sha and how can it benefit you? Well, let’s break it down! Gua Sha is an ancient Chinese practice designed to get your energy, stagnant fluids, and blood circulation flowing by using a flat and smooth Jade stone alongside your favorite facial products. While you can do this on your full body, the face is the area most people target first.
As humans, we naturally have stagnant fluids in our body which can cause puffiness and inflammation. For me personally, I do tend to store a lot of fluid in my face so adding Gua Sha to my routine really has kept those fluids flushed and moving. I also find that this helps a ton with jaw tension and truly leaves my face feeling oh so refreshed after an at-home session. To break it down simply, here are my favorite perks when it comes to Gua Sha!
Benefits of Gua Sha-
- Flushes stagnant fluids that cause facial puff.
- Encourages lymphatic drainage.
- Relieves facial or jaw tension.
- Once the puff is flushed, your face is left more contoured & defined.
- Research shows consistent use improves circulation and blood flow to the face.
- Increased circulation can lead to increased collagen production.
- Relaxes stiff facial or neck muscles.
- Breaks up fascia and tissue that disrupts circulation.
- Some claim it helps with migraines and neck pain.
- Promotes smoother, plumper, and lifted skin.
- Very calming and known to reduce stress.
How Does Gua Sha Work?
- Grab your favorite toner, oil & ethically sourced jade tool.
- On freshly cleansed skin, avoiding active breakouts, spritz your face with your toner & apply your oil right after. I have been using the Sacred Energy Mist or the Tidal Rose Mist toner followed by the Calypso Oil. If you want a splurge oil, the Holi Oil is amazing.
- While your skin is very dewy, hold the tool flat against your skin with light pressure.
- Starting from the center of your face, gently and slowly swipe the tool away towards your ears.
- Continue slowly on the rest of your face, flushing down your neck for about 2-3 minutes.
- Need more in-depth help? Here is my favorite tutorial on Gua Sha.
How Often Can I Do It?
Ideally, you should aim to do this once a week to start, however, I do my own version of it daily with my hands only when I apply my facial products. So aim for once a week for a full session and then replicate the movements with your hands daily as you apply your skincare using upward, lifting motions with light pressure. Once you get the hang of it you could do it more often as long as your pressure stays gentle, remember, no tugging or scraping!
Tips to Keep In Mind-
Gua Sha can be very stimulating so if you see a few breakouts after, this is a normal reaction to the detoxifying effects it comes with. You also want to be sure you are not doing this with open or active breakouts as it can spread bacteria.
And that’s it! Hopefully, you enjoyed these tips and tricks for a less bloated, more relaxed face! Have you tried Gua Sha yet? Share your experience in a comment below! Not sure if this is for you? Feel free to email us for added help from the Organic Bunny esthetician here: email@example.com