I love a nice, bright white smile, what I don’t love, however, are the crazy chemicals that most conventional teeth whiteners come with. While many dentists will tell you that the teeth whitening process is safe, I personally avoid it for various reasons, here’s why:
- I have super sensitive teeth so bleaching really hurts me.
- Bleach can enter unknown cracks or cavities, further damaging nerves, which may result in a you needing a root canal.
- The bleaches are so strong, they can easily chemically burn your gums, skin, or tongue.
- Teeth whiteners contain potential carcinogens, which enter gums and mouth.
- Some whiteners contain chlorine dioxide which can destroy the enamel on your teeth. Chlorine dioxide is used to disinfect swimming pools and whitens teeth by eating away at the surface of the enamel.
- Even OTC whitening toothpaste comes with risks. Many contain Polyethylene Glycol, a carcinogen known for disrupting hormones with links to breast cancer.
- Many whiteners also contain Sodium Flouride, which despite what we’ve been told, has various negative effects and is considered a neurotoxin.