One of my all-time favorite beauty products has to be hair oil, and after learning about how damaging my beloved Morrocan Oil is, I was desperately in need of a much cleaner alternative. Before I tell you more about my safer swap, I would like to take a second to talk about why products like MorrocanOil are so damaging for us. While most people probably assume that these products are simply natural oils that nourish and tame our wild tresses, the ingredients of these products are anything but.
So, what’s really inside MoroccanOil’s hair products? Take a peek!
- D&C Red-17– This is used as a colorant and is considered a class 3 carcinogen. You should avoid all products with this ingredient in it, at all times. Skin absorption has been seen.
- Parabens– These preservatives may cause healthy cells to grow and survive like cancerous cells and can also be found in various breast tumors. Parabens are also endocrine disruptors with multiple links to allergic reactions.
- Fragrances– A combination of over 3,000 fragrances can be added to our beauty products, which very often lead to hormone disruptions and allergic reactions.
- Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone– This is added to leave a pleasant fragrance, however, this is toxic to aquatic organisms and can cause various allergic reactions.
- Cyclomethicone– This is a silicone-based compound.
- Coumarin– Used to increase aroma, this ingredient can lead to skin irritations or allergic reactions.
- Behentrimonium Chloride– Another ingredient known to cause irritations to the skin.