Because so much of my business is focused on perfecting the skin, I wanted to start doing a Skin Saving Sunday series in which Alexandra, the Organic Bunny Esthetician, and I work on better options to some of the most common skincare mistakes we see each day so today, we thought it would be best to start with one of our most common skincare mistakes- using Witch Hazel as a toner!
I know, I know, you’re thinking but it’s all natural and I love Witch Hazel and so do we- as an extract, in small doses, properly diluted! In conventional, distilled forms Witch Hazel is far too harsh for most people’s delicate skin, especially for anyone with sensitive or reactive skin. Also, many of the forms of Witch Hazel that you find in drug stores are often mixed with harsh alcohols that can also contribute to irritations and they are usually missing Tannins, a polyphenol that is what actually reduces inflammation. This is most often found in the extract but not in the distilled, drug store form.
If you are enjoying your current skincare routine, you are free to continue use but, if you are someone that is not getting the results you want, perhaps this info will help you!
Cons of Using Witch Hazel Toners-
Using Witch Hazel as a toner has been around for a very long time, however, have you ever noticed how your skin feels after using it? Most likely, your skin feels very tight and dry which is a common result due to your skin’s very beneficial oils being stripped away entirely. Besides just leaving your skin super tight and dry, this type of astringent can do long-term damage as well, leaving your skin dehydrated and possibly very irritated. Because your skin is so used to the toner excessively removing the oil, you can actually cause your skin to produce even more oil which defeats the entire purpose. Some other ingredients in Witch Hazel toners that we suggest avoiding are-
- SD Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol- This form of alcohol can be known to dry out the skin depending on the ratio and other ingredients in the formula. This form should never be used on the skin alone.
- Methanol– This has been studied to find it can lead to skin irritations or contact dermatitis. It was also found to damage the skin cells, killing them after being exposed to ethanol alcohol.
- Fragrance– Besides possibly disrupting the hormones, synthetic fragrances also have links to cancer, reproductive issues, allergic reactions and more.
- Phenoxyethanol– This preservative has links to eczema, allergic reactions and nervous system damage in infants.
- Menthol– This is that minty cool feeling you’ll find in some toners but it can cause irritations in the skin.
Safer Swap To Try Instead-
According to Alex, our licensed esthetician, the absolute best option for toning the skin is using a hydrating and skin balancing toner. Want to know what ingredients to look for when selecting your next toner? Here are her must-have ingredients!
- Vitamins like A, C, and E for their antioxidant benefits.
- Skin-replenishing ingredients like Aloe to avoid dehydration.
- Vegan/Botanical Hyaluronic Acid to also prevent dehydration and to plump skin.
- Glycerin- Vegetable derived.
- Willow Bark Herb or Extract- This helps control oil all while keeping pores clean!
Our Favorite Toner-
Not sure where to start? While I do carry several toners, our personal favorite at the moment, that checks off all of the boxes is the Sacred Energy Radiance Mist by Sahara Rose. It is made of a unique blend of youth-boosting rose petals and ultra-powerful, ruby crystals. It also has extracts of chamomile and calendula, along with hyaluronic acid and aloe vera, to instantly hydrate and revitalize skin. You can also use it anytime under or over makeup to refresh!
- MORNING- Skip cleansing and opt for this on an Organic Cotton pad instead! This is far more beneficial than just splashing water on the skin and it will prep your pores to ensure you get the max benefits from your skincare!
- DAYTIME- Throughout the day, this can also be used as a hydrating mist, pick me up spray, or to set your makeup!
- EVENINGS- In the evenings, after cleansing, you would then repeat your morning step and follow with your PM routine.
Not sure what products are best for you? We’d love to help you! All Organic Bunny customers are able to email Alexandra for a one on one consult, customized entirely for your skin type and budget. Shoot us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org today for your custom routine!